Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Slave

I personally had a hard time reading The Slave at first. I literally had to force myself to read just a few pages in this novel; however, last night I flat out told myself that I needed to finish this book by Thursday. I do not know if it was my determination to finish this book or that after reading more of the Bible I could recognize various references to the Bible. This book is very inspiring to its readers as well as illuminating when considering the struggle of various religions that depend on the Bible for instructions. The fight between not only Judaism and Christianity but between all religions and atheism. Many of the questions that Sarah asked reminded me of questions that Atheists have asked me before when they learn that I am a Christian.
One of the things that puzzled me most about this book was that the character's name was Jacob. I understand the love story of Jacob and Sarah and how it related to Jacob and Wanda but I also felt that part of Jacob channeled the story of Job. I saw various quotes that come from Job and the questions that were often asked by many people were very reminiscent of questions Job asked God. I almost felt at time that this combing of characters from the Bible was like how Singer combined many different religions. They all somehow contradict and complement each other until it is hard to say what truly belongs to one religion or to one Biblical character. I think that this may have been the point of The Slave; there is no way to choose what religion is correct because they all are intertwined at fundamental levels and no matter which religion a person belongs to there are always going to be questions that haunt us that we will never be able to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment