Monday, November 15, 2010

What does not kill me will only make me stronger!

A few weeks ago, Professor Sexton asked us to have one bad day. However, I was not able to accommodate the assignment at the time but I did make up for it by having a bad week last week. Last week, it felt like that anything that could go wrong in my life did go wrong. I would call my grandmother to visit and the first thing she would say was "What happened now?". I will not go into detail about all of the things that happened to me last week but most of the time I did not know whether to laugh or cry. I remember that Job often asked what he did to deserve the things that were happening in his life and I often did the same last week. Even now just a short time later looking back I realize that I learned nothing when I was questioning why things were happening and I started focusing on what bad thing was going to happen next. By focusing on the bad, I allowed myself to perpetuate the cycle. I might not have been able to change what things happened but I could have changed how I reacted. This was as close as I got to an epiphany. I don't think it was an actual epiphany but just a mere realization and affirmation of things that I had previously learned and forgotten. I think that everyone needs to have these realizations & affirmations because without setbacks in our life, no one can go forward. As humans we need to have failures in order to fully appreciate our successes. Job realized this when he said "he destroyeth the perfect and the wicked". This quote relates to many, if not all creation stories, because humans are not perfect and without these bad days or weeks, we would as a whole forget this concept. We would forget the concept of our own imperfections because we become so wrapped up in our own world and often try to place ourselves as gods of our environment. The bad days is the cosmos' way of giving us a reality check and as much as I hate my own bad days, I realize now that I need them.

1 comment:

  1. Your post title originates from the thought of German philosopher Nietzsche who stated 'God is dead'.

    ReplyDelete