Thursday, December 2, 2010

Should children be told complete Biblical stories???

While considering what to write about for my final paper and in-class presentation, I thought about several topics that have interested me this past semester. I did not write about the following topic; however it has interested me so much that I feel compelled to blog about my alternative paper subject.
It has often been discussed in class, whether or not children should be told complete Bible stories. How much is truly too much for a child to comprehend? I am going to do the best to answer this question. I believe that children should be told entire Biblical stories. Obviously they do not need to know the graphic details of the maiming of people but you can give children the general gist without mentally scarring them (heck some of the details have even scarred me mentally and I am 20 years old!).
The reasoning behind my opinion is purely personal. I grew up in a Christian household and attend a private Christian High School. Through both of these types of education I did not know the in-depth details of some Biblical characters that I admired, at least not until I read the stories for this class. When I did read these stories and learned the truth, I felt affronted and tricked. These Biblical heroes were not what I had always been taught to understand that they were. I finally got to realize that these heroes were human because they had faults which makes them even more of heroes because they had overcome these faults and done something wonderful with their lives. The two main characters that I felt I had been misled about were Sampson and David. I was so upset upon first reading the story of David myself that I blogged about how horrible of a person he was. As Professor Sexson later explained in class, this was a superficial reading and he was completely right! During that class, I had one of my first epiphanies. The point of literature is not to present perfect people but to showcase simulations of how people truly live and how they can overcome the obstacles in their life. The overcoming of obstacles is what truly makes a hero. So if we are to teach children what truly makes a hero and choose to use Biblical characters to do this, then we need to allow them to see the faults of said characters. By not allowing this, we are skewing children's views of real life and what a true hero is. Thus it is my opinion that children should be allowed to know the true (censored) stories of the Bible and then decide for themselves if the person is a hero because of what they overcame, not because they had a perfect life.

No comments:

Post a Comment